Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder Carers?

@Former-Member@Shaz51@Determined@Faith-and-Hope

Just home now. Twas a very long day.

Traffic was a bit crazy. All sorts of roadworks going on, plus a breatho blitz it seems. The drive there and back took 3+ hours each way.

Daughter found it hard. She said the reality of it started kicking in as we got closer to the clinic, and really hit her once she was in her room. Turns out that the psychiatrist and staff got her a lovely big room, but it's on a corridor and she's oversensitive to noise at the moment, so they're going to try to find a smaller but quieter room for her. 

She was really teary, curled up in a ball crying. She'd pulled together a bit by the time we left, but we could hear her starting to cry again as we walked off. So we've got the funny torn thing of the head knows that she needs this to happen, the heart is accusing me of leaving my daughter crying in a strange place. Have to listen to the head....

Younger daughter has cooked us some dinner, so we're wandering off to eat it and recover/relax a bit. Thanks for the thoughts and "checking ins" everyone.

Feeling for you @Smc, remember well the heartache of leaving my darling behind in tears 😞  

Hugs @Smc .... 💜💐

@Smc, thinking of you and family tonight. Trust your daughter has settled in the best she can and other children are not too unsettled. 

Thanks @Determined.

Spoke to older daughter on the phone a couple of times today. The calls were uncharacteristically brief, which has me a little bit puzzled. I've got a guess or two about why, but don't want to unintentionally read too much into it. All being well, she would have moved to the quieter room late today. Hope so.

Younger daughter seems OK; haven't caught up with the older brother she shares the house with yet, and the younger brother is moving house tomorrow so he's mostly got that on his mind.

Today Hubby and I have mostly been recouping. There's too much "wait and see" to try to anticipate anything beyond "take each day as it comes".

Hugs @Smc HeartHeart

Ooooh @Smc you have been through the wringer lately.  

Sorry, I have not kept up with your thread til now. Glad you do have some supports and making best decisions possible.

I have had my own family situation to manage with my son's very large episode in October which shook me to the core for a few months.  We are getting back on track and coming to terms with the very sad fact of mental illness as a part of his life.

Somehow we summon up the courage to keep going.

Take care

Heart

Thank you @Appleblossom.

I don't talk a lot about what's happening day to day with Daughter, only when I really need to unload a bit. Mostly I find sticking around the social threads on the forum works best for me. It's good being able to "hang out" with people who understand what I mean if I say it's been a rough day, and who don't need me to go into a full and detailed history plus a basic psychology lesson...

It is hard adjusting to such long term circumstances. Often friends don't understand why the person in question isn't "better by now". I guess for a lot of people, the mental illnesses they're most likely to encounter are things like short term depression and anxiety, or conditions that can eventually be controlled by medication. Again, it's good having the forums here, where people understand that it doesn't always work out that way.

I'm not really familiar with what your son's been going through, but it sounds like you've been travelling hard roads too. x 

I get that @Smc Many people here on the forum are well informed.

I think it is important that is better known. It can countact stigma.

While the skills over pills approach is better than some, sometimes issues are not due to lack of skill or effort. In my experience it has been lack of resources, financial and people.

I decided not to post much about him and am respecting his privacy. He might want to post here one day.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance