Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

ALYMum
New Contributor

I am a mother of a 25 year old son with schizoaffective disorder & I am looking for social support/community for him

I am new to this forum. In my futile search for a social support group I could recommend my son join in Adelaide, I decided to try this avenue. My son has been on the spectrum, if you could call it that, of schizoaffective disorder for a lot of his life including his childhood. It took 20 plus years to get the diagnosis after many suicide attempts and inappropriate hospital treatment (if he got past ED).  Now he's under a community order to medicate. He's pretty stable on this medication but due to the nature of the condition, he really doesn't understand what his illness is and why people take a wide birth. Consequently he has no real friends. Most family also generally distance themselves from being involved. He refuses to take DSP and NDIS assistance so the services are not available to ease his isolation. My question is: Is there a social group in Adelaide that does not rely solely on NDIS funding? Or have exclusion mechanisms in place to prevent his participation. He really is harmless! He's loving and caring and would make for great support for someone also isolated with this or similar conditions. It is a desperately lonely place for people with a difference, and for carers like myself when our loved ones are too different to talk about. Thank you in advance...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I am a mother of a 25 year old son with schizoaffective disorder & I am looking for social support/community for him

hello and welcome to the forum @ALYMum 

@Anastasia@greenpea 

Re: I am a mother of a 25 year old son with schizoaffective disorder & I am looking for social support/community for him

Thank you @Shaz51

@ALYMum  and ty for tagging me @Shaz51  I have 3 kidults one of whom (son2) who has a multitude of diagnosis including schizophrenia.  I believe he had schizophrenia from the age of around 6 but didnt flare up properly until his teens then it was a nightmare. I also have schizoaffective disorder but have embraced the help of ndis which has been so valuable. I hope your son may have a change of heart regarding the services on offer. The forums are a safe place for those with a mental illness to express themselves and also their carers. If you want to talk I am more than happy :). Take good care oif yourself. greenpeax

Hello @ALYMum 

Thank you for the tag @Shaz51 hello @greenpea 

Welcome to the forums and I'm glad youve found us.

I agree with Greenpea that NDIS has been a blessing. Our ball has only just started to roll, I'm stillbstill trying to set up some more supports but it has the potential to make such a difference for my boy. He's nearly 20 and has schitzoeffective disorder, ADHD and social anxiety. I'm juggling working full time and caring for him. I am a bit exhausted tonight but am happy for you hi ask me questions and happy to help hun. Sending you love ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance