Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Elizabeth2020
Casual Contributor

Conflict with sister's husband

I have a sister that I love, but I recently have had a big fallout with her husband. To cut a long story short, I really do not want to interact at all with my brother in law. This obviously will make it hard for me to have a proper relationship with my sister and their children. How do people handle this issue:

1) Work out a way to just interact with sister

2) Drop contact with all and let my sister get on with her life (she chose her husband)

3) I don't think this is possible - grin and bear the husband?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Conflict with sister's husband

@Elizabeth2020  Welcome to the forums.

Thats tricky. I’d try to find a way to interact with your sister. Maybe meet for a coffee and not discuss sisters husband ( if possible). 

If you have a good relationship with your sister and her kids, it would be a shame to lose that. I’m not a fan of grin and bear either.

I hope you find a solution.

Its good to have you here on the forums.

A forum tip. The @ brings a dropdown, and is how we tag each other into conversations.

I am sorry to hear this has happened. I had the same with my sisters husband. We just did not get along. I ended up just keeping in contact via phone and internet and that was ok for awhile. But eventually she cut all contact in a time in my life I needed more support from my family than ever before. She now refuses to even message me. I hope you can keep your relationship going because family in your life is important. Just try your best to meet up for coffee or in the park ect to keep your relationship strong. Xo good luck and stay strong 

@Ripped-apart  Welcome to the forums.

I’m sorry you have had this experience. Family are important, not alway dependable.

Its good to see you here. I hope you feel you can reach out for support if necessary, we all need that helping hand, and unconditional support.

Take care.

@Elizabeth2020  Its nice to meet you and welcome to the forum. Its a tricky one. You could have a relationship with your sister and her kids and not with her husband or you could have minimal interaction with him or try to work through the issues with him. It might mean a lot to your sister if you are able to get along with her husband- obviously we don't know the history nor do we need to know. But I also can understand why you may not want to have a relationship with your brother in law. Family relationships are tough and there is no simple answer. I hope this helps a little..

@Ripped-apart I am sorry to hear that your sister eventually cut off all contact. Have you found other strong connections? It is certainly difficult for me to replace the love of a sister or mother.

@Elizabeth2020  thanks for your thoughts. And no I haven't been able to even build a friendship with anyone. My family doesn't support me so thats why I joined here. 

Is Xmas time the most challenging when family has become estranged?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance