Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Social Spaces

cloudcore
Senior Contributor

πŸ¦‹ Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week (BIEDAW) πŸ¦‹ – 6th-12th of September

This week is Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week (BIEDAW)

Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week (BIEDAW) is a national week to raise awareness of body image concerns and eating disorders, celebrated annually 6-12 September. It calls upon the community to acknowledge that all bodies are important, and all bodies deserve politeness, honour and care from ourselves and from others. It highlights that this is true in all circumstances, but particularly in spaces where people are affected by eating disorders.

Here in the Lived Experience Forum, we are making space this week for those of us who have struggled with body image and eating disorders.

011_B_BIEDAW_Header.png

The theme: Rejecting diet culture

This year, the Butterfly Foundation along with the Eating Disorder Alliance Australia, aim to raise awareness of the impact of diet culture and spread the message that all bodies are good bodies, and that we don’t have to subscribe to diet culture’s limiting beliefs.

Our forums centre on sharing stories and supporting our communities, and this week we encourage safe respectful conversation on this thread and for you all to reach out to the people in your life and keep the conversations going.

Not sure where to start? Here are a few key ways you can get involved with BIEDAW:

1. Reject diet culture; for eg:
    - saying no to fad diets
    - embracing body neutrality
    - removing moral value from food (β€œcheat” or β€œbad” foods vs β€œgood” foods)
    - reframing the way you think about exercise

2. Support the diversity of people that are impacted by eating disorders; for eg:
    - showing yourself compassion
    - educating family and friends about the diversity of people who experience eating disorders (ie explaining that you can’t tell if someone has an eating disorder by looking at them)

3. Embrace and advocate for β€œHealth at Every Size” principles; for eg:
    - weight inclusivity/ reject the idealizing or pathologizing of specific weights.
    - eating for wellbeing (ie hunger, nutritional needs, pleasure) rather than for weight control

4. Share your story and experiences of vulnerability and strength to empower others

1 REPLY 1

Re: πŸ¦‹ Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week (BIEDAW) πŸ¦‹ – 6th-12th of September

I read this when you first posted it @cloudcore  and have been wanting to post something but to be honest I'm just not in the greatest of places at the moment. 

Growing up I always struggled with my body image, but I loved food too much to do anything about it and then in my later years I've jumped on board all the fad diets. I never envisioned myself to ever develope an eating disorder and even when I went to rehab and there were numerous girls there with one I could just never understand how something could starve themselves (after all that's the only ED I knew about cause that's how society and the media portrays it- thankful that that is changing now). 

But here I am. Diagnosed with Atypical anorexia. 

I've been following some of the ED organisations on social media closely this week and there have been some great posts about the place. 

I guess something that my dietitian has been trying to get me understand and come to a place is body acceptance. I'm not there, no where near there, but I'm inching closer to body respect. That I have a body and that I need to respect the fact that it needs to be nourished and cared for, I may not love my body but I need to respect it. Another thing that she has been helping me to understand is set point weight.... and I guess healthy at every stage. Learning that my body has a set weight that it will naturally sit at. When I get to the point of eating properly and regularly and my body maintains that weight without having to restrict or do crazy amounts of exercise, then that's my body's set point. It's a hard thing to accept... but I'm trying. 

well... I was really hoping that some others would share, hope by jumping in it will encourage someone else πŸ’•

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance