Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

sounds good @Sherry Heart

have to find a balance somehow

I was at mum`s doing the boxes when mr shaz came and brought me a working shirt -- what we are doing a job now

anyway we did the job , did not take long

when i went to see the customers , she gave me the biggest hug for doing the job without being asked to do it

@Appleblossom, @Former-Member , @Owlunar , @greenpea 

Hi @Shaz51 

How is mum travelling now?

hello @Former-Member , @Appleblossom , @Former-Member , @Owlunar , @greenpea , @Determined , @Smc 

mum is going ok , she has 4 meals on wheels a week now plus a frozen meal for the weekend

mr shaz had SAD bad today

anyone know about centerlink over 55 "s

@Former-Member, @Appleblossom , @Former-Member , @Owlunar , @greenpea 

Newstart has a bit more leeway than it does for younger applicants. Details here. https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/3/2/9/130

And the hours required may be subject to a health assessment too. Never any guarantees, but worth asking.

@Shaz51, have you looked into Carers' payments? You may well qualify. Their criteria are unfortunately still very oriented to physical care rather than psychological care, but  the right wording on the forms and referral letters can make the difference.

@Smc, I have tried carer`s payment for my mum befor and just missed out

but that was before she broke her hip , so i thought i would try again

Sorry @Shaz51  not much help to you about Centrelink entitlements for over 55s. Yeah I know ... I am 60 so should know. Personally I receive a carers ALLOWANCE for hubby. Never applied for a carers PAYMENT. Different things and different qualifications. If you cannot get the Payment, you possibly may be eligible for the Allowance. For both/either your mum and/or Mr Shaz. My qualifications are slightly different in my personal situation, due to hubbys Vet Affairs Service record. So I dont want to advise incorrectly about things which may not be relevant to the gen population. For example, I qualify early for aged pension as hubby is classified as totally and permanently incapacitated (TPI). So this year I started getting a part aged pension.

Im glad your mum is now receiving more meals on wheels. Some load, and concern, removed from your shoulders. My dad is now getting lunches delivered 7 days per week. Freshly cooked, not frozen, even on weekends, which is nice. Especially given he lives in only a small town. But the meal prep is done at a nursing home, so they have to cook for the residents anyway. Very lucky to have this wonderful service, and even better ... at no cost to him/us.

Sorry to hear Mr Shaz is suffering badly today from SAD. Not good.

Sherry

hello and hugs @Former-Member HeartHeart

yes "meals on wheels " here is Freshly cooked, at the hospital , so mum gets what the hospital patients get each day -- but pureed due to her reoccuring bowel obstructions

mr shaz hates centrelink so we have been going self employed until we get the aged pension  which will be a lonnggg time yet , as I am 55 and mr shaz is 59

Oh okay @Shaz51 , I misunderstood your post where you said about your mum getting 4 meals on wheels and one frozen meal a week. 😀

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance