Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

May
New Contributor

How to support depressed family and co-workers?

Good morning - thanks for the opportunity and facility to reach out - this is such a great initiative.

I am not an actual carer but this seemed the most appropriate spot.  In the last 2 weeks, an employee has been off sick with (what sounds like) depression.  He won't answer the phone and has indicated stress leave, but otherwise indicating an intention to return to his career.  I don't know how much contact to have - whether to leave him alone or keep texting him with moral support (the only contact I have had so far is by text and email - he won't answer his phone and has indicated he can't talk).  He has indicated he is getting psychological support, so I feel like I should step back for now - otherwise at a loss for what to do... His marriage has recently broken down and his family is interstate, so I am a little concerned regarding the local support. 

Separately my Auntie who lives alone (but nearby) has indicated she is suffering from depression.  I don't think she is getting medical help and has indicated she can't get out of bed some days and can spend the whole weekend just staring at the TV and won't move.  I don't know how much help I can give her / how can I help her help herself? 

I personally have a history of anxiety and understand the need for healthy life style, sleep and exercise, but I don't know how to respectfully encourage others to help themself?

Thanks for any assistance / advice....

M

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to support depressed family and co-workers?

Hi may, it's great that you have the insight to recognize this in other people. The level of involvement is difficult, but for my part I find at least letting people know you are available to talk or do something with them helps. So they feel not isolated. Certainly you could also indicate to them there's great resources (this website included) where they may want to reach out if theyd prefer not to do it with you or others. You could start the conversation by indicating to them that you are aware of mental health issues - you may have your own experiences or those of a family member or friend. The message is reassurance that things can most definitely improve .... Hope. It's difficult with an employee cos the relationship might be different. But with your aunt is it say possible to catch for a walk or movie or something and try and raise the issue of reaching out for more formal support? Best of luck. J

Hi there @May,

Welcome to the SANE forums!

I am glad that you have found us, this is a great place for sharing stories and support and learning new strategies from other members.

I am wondering if this thread is helpful for you. Even though it is not directly related to depression, I think you may be able to apply it to your situation.

If you get a chance, have a look around and read some of the stories and experiences others have shared, as they may provide some tips on how to look after yourself when caring for someone else with difficulties. You may want to consider reading through this thread as @hippyjingle67 points out a few things regarding self care.

Also @Linmerc has recommended a book here which may be worth while. 

@Jacob101, thanks for your input - sounds like really good advice! 

jacinthebox 🙂 

Hi @May

Welcome the Forums.

Great advice given from @Jacob101 and @Former-Member. 

I'd just like to chime in here add in that you might also want to ask your co-worker and family what they think might be helpful. If you're not feeling sure about how to bring the topic of mental illness, it could be starting the conversation with something like, 'I've noticed that you've been down lately, is there anything I can do?'

I think starting the conversation, and creating a space where people can talk about their concerns is a good start. They may not be ready to talk about it straight away, but at least you've let them know that you're there @Jacob101 has pointed out.

CherryBomb

Thank you for sharing your thoughts May, you sound like a very caring person.

Keeping in touch with people you are concerned about can sometimes be all you can do for them and it can be a lifeline for them.

If they choose to reach out to you, being able to listen and just be there for them maybe just what they need at this point in their life. We all live such busy lives, sometimes the power of just being in the moment with someone can help.

If your at all concerned about their health or safety, you could suggest professional services in your area.

i hope this helpful for your situation Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance