Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

nursemebabe
Casual Contributor

Hello

Hi everybody i am new to the forum.

Background

I wanted to tell you a lttle about myself and my story. My mother left the family home when i was four and i only met her at 32 which didnt work out. I was in a DV relationship for 25 years and have recently split in the last 12 months. 

My first experience of anxiety was in high school but i didnt really understand it however i had a diagnoiss of depression in my early twenties but i refused medication and carried on with my life.

I done my nursing but struggled daily with my intrusive thoughts and suicidal ideation plus underlying depression. In 2009 it all came to a head and i became that unwell i could go to the mailbox let alone work. I finally went to my GP who i told the truth the feelings,thoughts i was experiencing.My doctor was shocked as she had no idea what i have been living with for years and years. My GP asked me to take medication or she may have to schedule me to hospital as i was very dangerous to myself. I agreed to take the medication and she rang me everyday and i seen her every second day. Since starting the medication i have havent looked back and i am still on it today. Two years after starting my medication i went back to univiersity and done my Post Graduate in Mental Health and i work as Mental Health Clinician now. 

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and even though i am a trained proffesional now i am struggle with anxiety and depression and i work very hard for my clients as i know exaclty what they are feeling. Ive been struggling myself the last few months .

9 REPLIES 9
Snowie
Community Guide

Re: Hello

Hi @nursemebabe 

Welcome to the Sane Forums. It is nice to meet you.

It sounds like you have gone through so much.

I am glad you are getting support and reaching out for support too.

I hope you find the support you are looking for here.

Welcome @nursemebabe 

Its a great story of how life has it's ups and downs, and without both, we would not be the awesome people we are today... warts and all. 

Make sure you take care of yourself and the vicarious trauma. I am sure you have heard the saying that you can't pour from an empty cup a million times, so what's been keeping your cup from refilling lately?

Sophia1
Senior Contributor

Hello @nursemebabe 

Love your user name..

Welcome...

I find the most surprising posts when I first log on..

Often I intend to reply and never get back to doing so..

This time I am going to reply now..

You have bravely told your story on first encounter to the groups I believe to be the case..

Many of us have our own stories of struggling in this world from an early age for many different reasons.

You were fortunate that you found an excellent doctor...who paid attention...listened.....heard...acted and most importantly continued to support you..

Rare..

You also of course did so much hard work yourself...not diminishing your trauma or life in any way..

You worked in nursing struggling also..

Your doctor still supported you..

You stayed on your medication and two years later returned to university to achieve your post graduate in mental health ...

You now work as a Mental Health Clinician..

I hear that you still struggle with the anxiety and depression at the same time as working in the field....you would be feeling their pain...

Now you are here because you have been struggling more the last few months...

No wonder given everything that you have been through as well as achieved...

You are an inspiration...

Congratulations on such an achievement...

Thank you so much for choosing to work in the field of mental health..

This area needs more people with lived experience...

The medical system itself in every aspect needs more people with lived experience..

Sadly many cannot get to the stage that you achieved because they did not have that strong support in the medical world...your doctor.

She deserves an award...

You have landed here seeking support and help...

Another strong move...

I am also very proud of you for gathering the strength to leave a DV relationship....very hard to do...

Please do not continue or start to self doubt yourself or hold any guilt or self blame...

I suggest that you have some counselling around that area firstly....this would be instrumental in bringing back anxiety and depression because you have left the part of your life where it was held down inside out of fear..

I know this..

I hope that a peer supporter is about to introduce themselves as I might just make your introduction to the forums more difficult...The last thing that I want..

Thank you so much for following through and studying in this area...

So much sadness around lack of understanding...

You have so much to offer the world whether you choose to stay in that area for your own health or decide on another...

I have met another human today who wants to help...

The wonderful outcome of this is that you chose to study in the area that caused you the most grief...

mental health is the official terminology..

You have had some lovely support from some members which is very encouraging on first arriving...

I do not know how to call peer support workers..

I will try to find some community guides who might better understand how..

all the best to you my friend..

Very daunting first landing on here..

You have done very well so far...

Don't go anywhere..

@Anastasia  are you about?

@frog 

@jem80 

I am trying to tag people who might resonate in the best way..

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

@nursemebabe 

I hear you.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Thank you for sharing your story

If you type @ a drop box with appear and you can tag members or alternatively you can type @ and type members name and tag them that way. 

I too suffer from depression and anxiety and struggling with it atm. Hope you start to feel better soon. 

Welcome @nursemebabe 

Thank you for sharing your story. You are really inspiring.

I also experience chronic anxiety, as well as the extremes of bipolar (more down than up).

A lot of what you said resonated with me...

You are not alone

Thank you all so much.

What a lovely safe space.

JourneyG
Casual Contributor

Hi there nursemebabe (what a wonderful play on the who cares for the carers theme)

in mental health work it is so common that we give and give and act strong and forget the very nature of a shared journey. And that we need to practice as well as demonstrate self-care.

The burn out rate in our industry is rediculous and we may feel that our best way of helping our clients is too be strong. 
But being honest and vulnerable are just as effective.

Here's to hoping that you find the balance of self and others' needs and can keep doing the wonderful, selfless and heroic work that you do, without neglecting your own wellness.

I wish I'm Luke work out how to share some songs with you on this forum (one of my 'things' is recovery songs and I have written a few about my own and clients' stories over the years, some of which may be helpful and / or encouraging.

perhaps someone can let me know if I am permitted to share YouTube links here?

Blessings and peace to you, 

and thanks for your honest sharing.

Hey @JourneyG! You are allowed to post Youtube links here, providing they do not identify you in any way (eg: are produced by you, were uploaded by your own Youtube account) and are generally appropriate 🙂 

utopia
Senior Contributor

@nursemebabe  Welcome to the Forum. 

I hope you are able to connect with a few people on this site. Although we all have different diagnosis, we all try and support each other and provide the space to share your experiences.

I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance