Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Yerta
Casual Contributor

Hello

Hi,

I have been suffering depression and sometimes anxiety to varying degrees over the last 17 years. I had it pretty well under control until a month ago when my eldest son landed in jail.  His own fault I know but I feel like noone knows how it feels - noone I know anyways. I  went 3 weeks on autopilot until I had a breakdown last week and have been struggling a lot this last week. I took time off work, I do the bare minimum for my other kids and just can’t be bothered doing anything else. I use alternative/holistic remedies and they usually work, not at the moment though. I have also been on maintenance medication for a while and don’t really want to change that. I just feel so lost, alone and a burden. 

I work in the health industry and usually love my job but right now I’m happy if I don’t have to care or support another person. How do I ask for the care and support I deperately need without the stigma of ‘oh she’s just attention seeker’

3 random things about me when I’m well

I like crafts

reading thriller/mystery books

spending time with my boys

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hello

hi @Yerta  and welcome 

Please feel free to have a look around the forums and join in where you like.

Also a little forum tip is to put an @ before a members name and itll tag them for you. 

we have a Craft Corner  that you might like to join in with and share some of the crafty things  you make too. 

it sounds quite tough for you atm, and im glad youve reached out for help. we definently dont think your attention seeking here. i am also someone who is constantly caring for others and from what im reading it sounds like you may be experiencing some burnout. What do you think?

Do you think you could speak with your gp and let them know your struggling and would like some help? even people who work in the health industry can experience mental health issues 

Yerta
Casual Contributor

@outlander 

burntout with work is just a bi-product  since my son went to jail. I’m more irritable and intolerant.  My current episode of depression is because of his situation and no real understanding from friends or loved ones to how I feel. I have been trying to get into see my gp. 

that sounds really tough @Yerta but understandable too. Im sorry that your friends and family dont show understanding, it can be hard for others to understand if they have been the one having to deal with it first hand. i do hope they come around though and give you some more support. Hope you can get in to see your gp as well

Hi @Yerta that situation sounds so hard. I'm sorry there's little/no understanding from people around you. I don't pretend to know what it's like, but I want you to know I'm thinking of you. I hope that you can get in to see your gp soon and that you are sleeping ok. Take care.

Hi @Yerta  we met on the craft corner thread a few days ago.

I really am sorry to hear about your son and the stress it’s causing. It’s so hard when you really need support but it’s no where to be found. I’ve had quite a bit of that in my life.

I know the struggles with lack of motivation for anything also, it’s really hard. I had a sink full of dishes yesterday and got it done only because there were no clean ones left. You are not alone in all you are feeling, many of us here really understand.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance