Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Sophia1
Senior Contributor

Yes I do want a response from the worry room walk away without a response needed...............

There seems to be confusion...misunderstanding...

not sure how else to politely describe the dilemma..

This here is a place where someone knows that you are comfortable in receiving a response...

As opposed to the worry room walk away without a response needed...

It is so very very hard to let go of overwhelming feelings...emotions...'

blech...

whatever it feels like for you..

It is way harder than people can imagine to allow ourselves to voice these feelings...

It is very important that others know whether or not we do want a response..

Safety reasons will require a response via email as per terms and conditions of forums..

I believe that we all have the the right to choose when and where anyone responds to our outcry in words..

I feel this for myself..

If no response is labelled in the thread...it is compassionate to follow this..

There will always be supported comments from those also suffering and understanding..'

Others can respond here...

Just a thought...

This is how I want to be treated...when a title states 

WITHOUT RESPONSE 

Of course...I do realise that yet once again I have put myself in a vicarious situation where there will be judgement..

Tis life....

the sake of all on here..

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Yes I do want a response from the worry room walk away without a response needed...............

Hi @Sophia1 

I'm 50. How old are you? You might think I'm younger because in my head I think I'm about 16 haha. 

I have so much to say about this topic but it's getting late and I need to have a shower and get ready for bed. I just wanted to say hi and that I appreciate your point of view. Everyone should feel safe to speak up here.

Re: Yes I do want a response from the worry room walk away without a response needed...............

Hello @Arizona 

No urgency to reply..

Age does not matter when our voices have a need to be heard and respected..

have your shower ....

have a restful sleep

Thank you for responding.. voicing that you appreciate my point of view..

Yes your words are very true..

You have every right to be heard the same as every other member of the forums..

You stated ..... Everyone should feel safe to speak up here.

My answer is ...........yes 

I know that the moderators...support workers do agree with you...

I think that it is about hearing what you are saying and others also

bringing about some change to respect that..

which I know that they will want to do...

sleep tight ..

Hi @Sophia1 

I'm not ready to reply yet (I'm sorry). I have realised that I'm not sure how I feel. Sometimes it takes me a long time to understand how I feel. 

Hi @Sophia1,

Thanks for raising this- it's something I have been giving a lot of thought to this week. 

I appreciate as well that you acknowledged that there are times when Moderators or Peer Support Workers will need to reply on the forums in the worry room to explore safety, or address anything within a post in line with our guidelines. It is a complexity of the worry room space.

I'd be curious to hear from members whether it would be helpful if we create some parameters together to provide choice for those posting to the worry room?

Maybe it's the case, as you mentioned, we ask members to post if they are open or not open to responses from others in that space. Even though it's in the heading, sometimes it's helpful to be clear in the post as well. 

I might also post in that space to clarify the role of responses by moderators, as there are times we do need to post there or send a follow up email to check in and ensure that all members are safe and supported, even if the post states no response is needed Heart

Is there any other guidance you think might be helpful in the worry room or ways the forums team can clarify and support understanding of the purpose and functions of that space?

Thanks for starting this thread. 

I've always considered The Worry Room thread to be one where people can hit the 'support' button but not reply directly to the content (unless it's a mod posting for safety purposes). But I'm also very guilty of posting there when I wish I had someone to talk to but feeling like no one would want to reply anyway, so I would just post there so I don't feel quite so rejected and worthless when no one replies anywhere else.

So I guess I'm on the fence and think there needs to be room for both. 

I'm going to try and reply. I know what I think in my head but getting it all out clearly is another thing. Perhaps I'm being too critical of myself. I want to reply because I don't want to feel afraid of expressing myself. Expressing myself is very important to me. I wasn't allowed to express myself as a child and adolescent and it had a very damaging effect on me. It has taken me years to get to this point where I can express myself freely.

I think I will start by talking about my experience of having a mental illness.

It took me a long time to understand and accept my mental illness. It wasn't until I was about 40 (ten years ago) that I began talking openly about it.

For many years I didn't feel comfortable talking about my mental illness; I felt a lot of shame (and stigma towards myself I think). I felt like there was something wrong with me and I kept it hidden from other people. I didn't feel like I could be myself. This caused me a lot of suffering.

As a person who has a mental illness there aren't many places in life where I can talk about what it is really like for me to have a mental illness and where I can truly be myself. 

I have realised that for my wellbeing it is very important that I'm able to be myself.

I think I understand the guidelines and why moderators and peer support workers need to refer people to helplines etc.

I also think part of the problem is they don't understand how unhelpful these helplines are. I think they are damaging and I try my best to avoid them.

I don't think my problem is with the guidelines themselves. I think my problem is with the way the moderators etc communicate.

The intention of a moderator etc "checking in" is supposed to make me feel safe and supported, but a lot of the time when they do this I don't feel safe or supported at all. I feel the opposite. I feel angry and upset.

I think this is because some of the moderators don't communicate very well and they don't communicate in a way that is caring or sensitive. They have no awareness or sensitivity to what you are going through. They lack empathy and compassion.

The biggest problem I have is with how they talk to you in emails with the same script. I find this very depersonalising and demeaning. And as someone who has been through a lot of trauma this makes me feel mistrustful and defensive and angry and upset.

I think the moderators etc need to be more sensitive and more respectful of people's personal space and boundaries.

Also, I don't like it when a moderator etc makes an assessment of me and makes a lot of presumptions about me and tells me what is going on with me. It feels like I'm being psychoanalysed and it feels intrusive and inappropriate and patronising. 

Here is my suggestion: instead of reacting to people's posts and making assumptions, why not just ask the person how they are and if they need support? In a genuine, caring way? Peer to peer, human to human?

I think what is missing for me most of all with the moderators etc is connection.

Also, I joined these forums to connect with my peers but I feel that the moderators etc and the heavy handed way that these forums are run is getting in the way of this. 

It makes me angry and frustrated because there are very few places in life where I can be myself as a person who has a mental illness and it is very important for me and my wellbeing and my recovery that I get to connect with my peers. 

I think in the future people working in mental health will realise the importance of peer to peer connection and heavy handed ways of running forums will be a thing of the past.

Also, I didn't get to say this, but I feel that my personal space and boundaries are being disrespected and violated when moderators etc and other forum users reply to my posts in the Worry Room in an insensitive way and it makes me feel very angry and upset. When other users reply it is a clear violation of a boundary. I find it so annoying that I'm thinking of starting my own thread called No Responses Please*.

So to make it clear: no, I do not want a response.

*With the exception of moderators etc who are allowed to reply in an appropriate and sensitive manner.

Hi @Arizona ,

I hear your frustration in regards to responses and emails you recieve from moderators. Depersonalised messages can definitely come across as demeaning and insincere, and so your mistrust and anger is understandable. Please know we do care and your feedback is really valuable, we will be sure to take a look at how our service can improve.

Please know you can reach out to a community manager via email at communitymanagers@sane.org, with any of these concerns as well.

Heart from cloudcore

Thank you very much for listening @cloudcore ❤

I didn't realise how angry I was. It just all came out. I have trouble understanding how I feel about things most of the time. And I don't understand how I feel until I have written about it or spoken about it.

Also, I have a disclosure to make: I have just remembered that I have replied to people in the Worry Room thread. I'm sorry, I had forgotten and I feel like a hypocrite. I don't want to be one of those people who have double standards.

Hello @Arizona 

I read through your responses carefully as I want to respect how you are feeling..

I also self question myself after bringing up a new thread ..

also at times after I have responded to someone who is opening up very bravely about some vulnerable feelings...as well..

@Daisydreamer @cloudcore 

I want to thank you so much for not taking my efforts in starting this thread as a sign of criticising all of the hard work that you all do..

It is not an  easy job to monitor this kind of communication amongst members in particular when they have landed in the worry room as they are wanting to feel in a safe space to write about what ever is on their mind at the time.

I think that if anything..

we now have a conversation around this subject...

several people for a while now have felt that their space has been invaded ...their safety zone stepped into ...in a way..

I like the response that @Arizona gave:

Here is my suggestion: instead of reacting to people's posts and making assumptions, why not just ask the person how they are and if they need support? In a genuine, caring way? Peer to peer, human to human?

I think what is missing for me most of all with the moderators etc is connection.

It is called a worry room for a purpose....indicating feeling very vulnerable....

Most people do not want advice in this state of mind...They want to feel supported and valued...

Some ideas to throw around:

Change the title of the existing thread....to say something along the lines of...

Worry room...walk  away... Please be respectful and ask me if I want a response first.

(The response from moderator/community guide/ peer support worker could be " I will tag you and respond in another area where hopefully you will feel less vulnerable...redirected here..to this thread by one of the above positions)

Again change the title of the thread as needed)

or a particular thread only accessed by appointed sane people...

I have also felt the same as 

@TheVorticon 

posting there when I wish I had someone to talk to but feeling like no one would want to reply anyway, so I would just post there so I don't feel quite so rejected and worthless when no one replies anywhere else.

NEEDING SOMEONE TO TALK TO.....Please reply with respect...

I am also aware that there are so many threads with few followings...

Definitely clearer headings....

Distinct parameters..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance