Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

@Determined  .... yep.

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Plan on leaving home by 6.30 to be at the uni by 7 (takes 1/2 hour if I walk). That will give me an hour for reading before class @Faith-and-Hope , 

Sleep that is a whole different discussion lol.  Hoping the 4km of walking (aka dawdling) I did today will help with that. Cant believe how out of shape I have gotten (literally) over the last 12 weeks (+10kg) . If I leave before everyone else gets out of bed there is less chance for confrontation stressing me out before I even start. 

So much for that plan lol. Briefly woke up at 5.30 and thought 5 mor mins and did not wake again untill 7.30. 

Hi @fraser845  and welcome,

This is a thread where I share about the ups and downs in my family that you may find helpful.

I am tied up with work and uni stuff for most of today but happy to check in and chat later tonight if you are around. 
Thanks @Faith-and-Hope  for the tag 🙂 

Thank you @Determined for you offer. I am around here and happy to chat and hear from you. I would be a great help. Thank you much.

@fraser845  I have family here for dinner tonight but I will be around later on tonight. 

Hoping I can get through the evening without any meltdowns, things are a little tense here at the moment. 

@Determined I hear you. Take care and enjoy the time with your family. I am hanging around here tonight. Chat soon.

Hi @fraser845  I'm back.

Have you had a chance to read through this thread?  Any questions in particular?

@Determined I am reading a lot currently. My problem is specifically to understand, how you cope with it. What to expect as currently I really can not determine between a BPD related behaviour and just someone who is trying to emotionally manipulate me. 

I try everything in my past year to make her feel safe and comfort her but everyting comes back as a negative thought. I dont do enough, I dont show her the love she craves her way - I mean I am literally lying with. 39.5 fever in bed and she request sex - I tell her I cant because I am sick and she rolls over and feels sad, thinks I am not loving her. Look, I am lost to be honest and try to understand what are the best rules to have a fullfilled love life and relationship when your partner suffers from BPD, intensly and refused any further councelling with her psychiatrist - apparently because she told her she shoud not have any relationships. 

@fraser845 

'I really can not determine between a BPD related behavior and just someone who is trying to emotionally manipulate me'

Yep that sounds familiar unfortunately.

How do I cope with it?

Not very well a lot of the time unfortunately 😕

One of the biggest pieces of advice I wish I had followed a lot sooner is to put in place boundaries. I think I explain our boundaries back on page 1 or 2 of this thread. This is something a councillor helped me put in place while my darling was in hospital (mental health unit).

We are still very much a work in progress as at that time we had 18 years of bad habits to break.  What Iblearned at the time that what I thought I was doing to help ( making allowances and excuses for bad behaviour in order to take the load off) was actually enabling that bad behaviour. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance