Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

@Determined, am very glad it's confirmed benign.

I'm actually a "success story" re. surgical removal of a benign brain tumour. Full recovery. But it's not an experience I'd wish on anyone. My surgery was 16 years ago, and I get the impression that surgical techniques have improved greatly since then, but better still if it turns out S3 never actually needs it.

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Hi @Smc thanks for that. That is encouraging. 

Our little mans tumor involves the optic nerves so praying it never comes to surgery. That would result in at least partial loss of sight 🥺

Added note... Surgery is rare for this particular condition for that reason. Alternatives are still pretty yucky though. 

While the prognosis is positive for us at this stage still feeling overwhelmed by it all.  A lot hanging on (for me emotionally) the next mri in 3 months. 

I should add that I do in a way feel grateful after spending the day in a children's oncology waiting room.

Things could be much worse than they are. 

@Determined, mine was anchored on the olfactory nerves and pressing on the optic nerves. So similar area. So one ongoing result of the surgery is that I've got no sense of smell... but I still have a full sense of taste. Medically impossible, I've given up on questioning it and accept it as a blessing.

I'm guessing what they'll be watching is, at least in part, how much it's affecting his prefrontal cortex. Lots of important processing goes on in there. Hugs...

That is encouraging to hear of a success like that @Smc , appreciate you sharing. 

Positive update 

Had a wrap up meeting with a psychologist this afternoon. Primarily because funding cuts mean I no longer meet the requirements for bulk billing. But also because I am actually doing ok at the moment. Psychologist recons I am looking as well as she has ever seen me.

And I kind of feel that way also. Still long road ahead but I have some more direction at the moment.

And as distressing as it has been and there is still some anxiety ahead untill further scans are done with our s3, I have probably managed to keep it together during this time better than I would have in the past. 

Also I am pursuing some job opportunities that have not been on the radar that meet the needs of supporting my family far better then I set out to do at the start of my degree... and I have come the realisation that what my degree gives me I don't have the capacity to manage re stress and responsibility. But it has given me a window into this new opportunity which is great. 

* 6 weeks and my degree is done... yea!!!

4 years over budget but we got there 😃

Well almost there.  So close I can taste it!

Whooo @Determined. 🙂 My ceramics diploma was a two year course done over five... Younger Daughter's birth and the sneaky brain tumour both happened within that five years, so I guess I had good reason. 😛

We'll have to have some kind of graduation ceremony for you here when you've finished.

Congrats @Determined ! I know how it feels. I'm almost there with my uni studies too and absolutely looking forward to it! I've only got 2.5 assignments to go.

We may need to both celebrate @Smc 

1 assignment to go.

5 weeks and counting 🎊🎉🎆

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance