Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Some things I've been doing to help myself.

I am slowly implement lifestyle changes to help in my recovery. I've started walking daily with my father, or my cousin when dad is not available. I'm transitioning to a more vegetable and fruit based diet with small portions of meat. Furthermore, I am trying to cut sugar out as much as possible, but I am finding it hard because it really is a crutch for me. I abstain from drugs and alcohol, which used to be a challenge, but I just know in my self it is what I need to do to heal. 

Other things I've been doing is I've become aware that having the windows and blinds in the house shut all day makes the house stuffy and musky, so I have been opening up the house lately. However, on weekends, the sound of people talking surrounds the house. I am sensitive to crowd noise, which adds stress and contributes to my paranoia. That said, an added benefit of having hearing aids is that they make it easier for me to discern between the voices in my head, my own inner monologue and everyone around me, which helps reduce my overall paranoia. Also, on a side note, I've been listening to NWoTHM and Power Metal which helps me to not focus on all that nonsense.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Some things I've been doing to help myself.

Congratulations @Former-Member  for making these moves!

It may seem 'simple', but these steps you have taken can have such a HUGE impact on your overall health and wellbeing.

I especially like how you spoke about going for walks each day - I know this certainly helped me and my mental health.

Looking forward to hearing the great things you have planned.

I'm here to support you if you ever need an ear, as I know this is not always an easy trek.

BPDSurvivor

@BPDSurvivor 

Thanks very much for your support. 

Hello @Former-Member ,

Do you have anything planned for today? A walk?

@BPDSurvivor wrote:

Hello @Former-Member ,

Do you have anything planned for today? A walk?

It's general house cleaning day today. I am taking the day slowly, I may go on a walk this arvo. However today, after cleaning I am going to go over my NDIS booklet to make sure I have everything sorted for my plan meeting this week. 

That's a good idea @Former-Member ,

All the best with your NDIS meeting prep.

Hope you get to go for a walk.

@BPDSurvivor wrote:

Thanks, and I most likely will go for that walk. 

Hi @Former-Member sounds like good changes to make in your life. I have just started walking again after a little break definitely a great thing for your mental health.
I will be following your progress if you choose to write more on this forum.

@BPDSurvivor wrote:

My NDIS phone meeting went like a breeze. Thanks for your support. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance