Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Hello Peoples.

Got a little more done in the garden today. Planted five capsicums and two celery plants, same methodology as last time. The soil that the garlic had been growing in is looking good. Some fat worms have moved in to it, and that's always a good sign.

I'm one of those "look after the soil" gardeners. 🙂 I figure that if the soil's right, the results should follow.

@Smc

Looking after the soil = 😀😀😀

We are still awaiting delivery of our tree. Mr Darcy mulched the bed he has weeded and prepared for it using 'biscuits'  of our old hay, leaving a gap where we have the hole ready for the tree to go into. 

Sounds like your tree is going in to a "happy place" @Former-Member. 🙂

The only thing I got done in the garden today was watering, but while doing so I noticed that my Globe Artichoke has a lovely giant thistle flower on it. Which means it's past eating stage, but it got to that point while I wasn't well enough to do anything with it, and the big fluffy purple head is pretty. It's in its first year of growth, so next year there should be more than one flower!
Arranged with a friend today to get a couple more hens. She's breeding for a particular colour, so she keeps the best out of each clutch, and sells on the others. They'll be not quite point-of-lay, so that will give them time to settle in with our current chook before they get down to business.

How eggsiting @Smc are the chooks a particular breed? 

@Former-Member, they're a cross of two breeds, trying to breed a colour back in that used to be there in the past, but has been lost over the years. So she's keeping chooks that have the right form and colour combination to breed on. Both breeds are good layers, so they should be excellent in that regard.

@Smc @Former-Member

Mums chook that went missing a while back appeared back in the pen a couple of days ago. Mum and Dad (inlaw) were convinced the dog had eaten it lol.

There is a dense thicket of overgrowth in the next door yard, I suspect it was nesting in there and came back for the food lol.

Former-Member
Not applicable

s-l300 (1).jpg

Have the new chooks arrived @Smc?

Our tree finally got delivered today. Mr Darcy was keen to get it planted, which we did, an easy job given spot was preprepared.  Filled the bird baths whilst I had the watering can out. 

No new chooks yet @Former-Member. Our friend has a lot going on- she also keeps horses and runs a craft businiess in between family committments and other occasional jobs... She's reliable though, am happy to wait for her to get back to us. 🙂

Our wayward chook has gone walkabout again, thinking I ma going to have to trim some branches and raise the height of the fence. 

We have another gardening project to work on that has me more motivated again. Darling is upset that she wont have the opportunity to be in the garden with her mum like they were planing and looking forward to. So we are going to dedicate a section of garden to mum and put her favorite plants in it, darling is looking forward to me helping with this and likes most of my ideas. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance