Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Lauz
Senior Contributor

New Years Un-Resolutions

Hey everyone,

Congratulations and welcome to a brand new year! As I am sure we can all relate, this particular time can sometimes be overwhelming, especially with pressures on creating resolutions.

We thought maybe we could deconstruct this tradition and rather than think about what we could do better, what if we thought about what we are already doing well and want to continue to do. 

Every year I tend to set myself a resolution to do more exercise (cue eye roll). But this year and in honour of this thread, I am going to say that I am proud that I have been doing a small walk each morning around my area and would be happy if I continued doing this. 

Lets unresolve resolutions and pay tribute to what you do now! HeartHeart

11 REPLIES 11

Re: New Years Un-Resolutions

Great idea @Lauz 🙂

I like this idea!

One actual resolution I have is to go to the gym this year. Yes, eye roll. But, really, I'm keen at present, so it remains an open question whether it will really happen or not.  Fingers crossed.

But following on from @Lauz's excellent idea, here are some other things I'd like to continue doing:

• continue engaging regularly with my creativity
  • continue getting out of the flat as much as possible
  • continue pushing back my social anxiety to be part of social situations
  • continue walking on the beach as much as I can
  • continue giving self care to my feet regularly to help problems there.

There is more but that's enough for now. Smiley Happy

@Lauz i think your new avatar is cute! Did @Zoe7 make this one for you?

@Lauz wrote:

Hey everyone,

Every year I tend to set myself a resolution to do more exercise (cue eye roll).

@Lauz Um...I'm pretty sure eye rolls don't count as exercise. Smiley LOL

So far I have a 100% perfect track record of surviving every single day living with BPD. Right now I am intending to maintain that track record. Smiley Happy

Too right @Mazarita your un-resolutions (and your resolutions) eerily sync up with my own!

- I'm gonna keep conquering my shyness and instigate meetups with friends etc like I have been

- Engaging with art, literature and creative media like I have been and continue that

- Keep going to the beach, and the local gardens

What kind of creative media to do you get into, @Scout? I'm interested in that area especially too. Smiley Happy

@Mazarita I really love film (all types and flavours, including experimental), and even television shows lately. I love video criticism, and music video art, and podcasts too. Those are the things I already and will continue to love and seek out. Beyond that might be more of a "resolution" where I'd like to make my own stuff, like video editing, or even djing and mixing music. 

how about you? What type of things are you interested in?

@Scout, you sound very into it, great! Glad to see experimental in there too, as that's where my creative juices flow most. I wish you the very best with getting in to creating yourself. I have been involved in short film/video making for over 30 years, labour of love all that time for the most part, but still my passion and lifeline through craziness. Smiley Happy

this is a great idea - My unresolutions are...

PHYSICAL HEALTH
I started not smoking last year on May 1 but started again in August.
I am stopping again on 8 January. 

I started walking after getting orthotics and this has helped my back, I will continue walking every day (if I am in a space to do that) and gonna do some magic with how I eat to try to claw back after anti-psychotics and menopause saw me go ballistic on the scales.

I am not going to muck around with my meds anymore, learned my lesson finally and decided steady as she goes.

I am going to see the physio and see if I can strengthen my shoulders and get to a point where I can start swimming again.

WORK/PLAY
I started writing a book last year and then fell over and got a fright (as well as being off the planet with psychotherapy and working hard on a heap of issues last year to very good effect.) I am picking myself and dusting my keyboard off and starting to write again with a goal of 750 words minimum a day.

In my mid fifties ther eis basically no New years Resolution I haven;t set for myself and failed before so i LOVE the idea of Un resolutions. Just keep on keeping on.

Samuel Beckett said.
"Ever triedEver failedNo matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

All the very best to every one's unresolutions. Be gentle with yourself but keep whispering!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance