Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // What can you do when a loved one doesn't want help? // Tues 22 Oct, 7pm AEDT

I think a cuppa can solve the problems of the world!!! --- ohhh yes @Former-Member  everyday xx

Re: Topic Tuesday // What can you do when a loved one doesn't want help? // Tues 22 Oct, 7pm AEDT

I like the idea of being in nature and animals too - that always helps me feel connected with myself!

Unfortunately its that time of the night where we have to wrap up! It has been such a wonderful night. So grateful to everyone for their openness and sharing of support, advice and strategies. A HUGE thank you to @Former-Member  for sharing her knowledge and insight tonight with us all - it was so meaningful and valuable. 

I did a little collection of some of the toolbox we put together tonight for you all to have here and be reminded of.

While we do close this thread/event tomorrow morning - you are welcome to continue the discussion and support in this thread here: Helping a loved one who doesn't want help 

Thanks all and take care 🧡

TOOLBOX for useful things to help support ourselves and loved ones (sorry if I missed some!) :

• Not responding with a sense of urgency
  • Changing the ways you do respond
  • Enlisting the support of others
  • Acknowledging that sometimes all you can do is listen and let them know you are there
  • Before you go to bed write down 3 things that you are going to achieve the next day that are responsive to your needs.
  • Turning your phone off and not being available to anyone for periods of time
  • Doing things that are fun and make you laugh
  • take time out for myself even for a few minutes
  • go for a scenic drive
  • listen to music
  • exercise
  • watch a movie
  • read a book
  • colouring in
  • take a step back when it gets tough
  • acknowledging that you can’t 'fix' them, only the person going through it can work on their mental health is a big one. It’s hard but important. 
  • sometimes asking the person what they need in a specific way helps.
  • Also a constant reminder that you are their if they need anything and that they are loved. 
  • being there for them
  • even doing our own self care in the midst of our loved ones
  • having morning tea with them or just dropping in each day to say hello or ringing them up
  • Breathing meditation (incorporating Mindfulness) 

so true @Fracturedlight but giving to others can be so helpful. Often when responding to others we are responding to a need in ourselves.

Thank-you everyone for your lovely insights and for having me.

thank you soo much @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

hope to see you around sometimes

Thanks everyone ❤️

@Former-Member @Shaz51 @Former-Member @Former-Member @Teej 

so new to this - l couldn’t find everyone to tag but thank you